As the morning light streamed through the blinds, I pulled zipper and sealed this fascinating little machine called a "breast-pump" in its new home, stored away for time to come.
As I closed the closet door, a tiny cloud of dust burst forth, a little shower of glittering confetti as if applauding our journey.
I turned to look at your sleeping face, so serene as locks of your hair frame your little face and my heart swelled.
A year and a day, it's been, a year and a day since:
-I first forced my drug laden drowsy body fresh from the operating theatre and received you, my little warrior, into my arms.
-I first stroked and clutched your floppy neck,guiding your eager lips to my bosom.
-I first sang to you, while you suckled with survival in mind
-I gritted my teeth from the suction and bleeding motivating myself to do it right the second time around
- I fought back tears when I had to return to work as you barely hit the 6 week mark and found solace in a machine that reminded me of your comfort in seeking nourishment from me
-the endless consumption of concoctions in hopes that it will increase the yield of this precious liquid
- the endless exhaustion as you became a permanent extension of my body, clinging fervently to the warmth of my body and seeking comfort for every ailment and respite
A year and day.
Our journey has ended and yet it is also continuing. One chapter has closed and I look forward to a new beginning.
We say our goodbyes to our trusty little machine but we embrace the nightly cuddles until the very last drop.
Happy birthday, my little breastfed baby. Happy birthday.

No comments:
Post a Comment