Sunday, September 25, 2011

National Pride

Well seeing that I've been constantly updating only about my personal life, I have this sudden need to rant about a slightly bigger issue.

Being a public servant, I am a person who has deep pride for my homeland. This patriotism does not stem from the fact that I am in public service but because I truly have a deep appreciation for the achievements my humble island-country has achieved for itself in a short span of 46 years.

In recent years, we have hosted the Youth Olympic Games and just this weekend, yet another Formula 1 Night Race season.

Our country has always taken pride in establishing a #1 or 'First in Asia/World' achievements. We are constantly pushed to achieve beyond limits, to secure the #1 place or beyond. This is practiced from an educational standpoint and by organizational standards. There have been many complaints over the years, over this need for excellence. But having said that, despite me having any concrete proof, I do believe that this mentality of over-achieving is a very Asian 'value'. I do recall the Western community going into an uproar over a certain author who released a book on parenting, describing us Asian mothers as 'tigeress'. The very success of ancient Asian civilisation I believe (sorry if I haven't really researched my facts out right to prove anything) is this constant need to excel.

So when our country reaps its achievements and blossoms economically, it gave rise instead to a very unappreciative nation of 'complain kings and queens'. Our national identity seems to have evolved into a very disgruntled one.

Recently I commented in my pride of the country for being a host for so many major events. Instead of cheering, I get really gloomy buggers who comment that it is a waste of tax payer's money. People seem to only look at negative aspects. And many seem uncomfortable with the fact that our country is trying to establish itself into higher society and create niche areas for foreign investors to come in and boost our economy. One person even claimed that we are doing so at the expense of us becoming "culturally impoverished".

I almost spat my drink out when I saw that comment. Because seriously, I don't see how we are very much 'culturally enriched' in the first place. I see culturally rich people embracing national events. I will not compare to western ideals but let's look at how China has fared in recent years. They've hosted the Olympics with a big bang and billions of money. They are pushing for the same mode of excellence. They are still culturally enriched.

Of course we mustn't deny that this approach will be at the cost of certain things like unmotivated soulless citizens. But although it is definitely fine for us layman to whine about the higher ups usurping our taxes, its only normal since we are at the bottom of the food chain. But its just sad to see that instead of appreciating all that we have, people in my country will never be proud of their country.

My hubby mentioned that recently there was talk about the capping of thee amount of undergraduates from our local universities and that some netizens ask for free education to attain a degree for all locals. I was appalled that we have such shallow-minded fellowmen. Instead of being proud of the fact that we have an educational model so successful that it is studied by other countries, they are unhappy that we are not providing enough for the citizens even though education is heavily subsidised by the government. Can you imagine a situation where every tom dick and harry has a degree, including menial and odd job labourers? There are countries that I know of that face this situation. My domestic helper at home has a degree but because degrees are dime a dozen in her motherland, she is earning triple the amount her fellowmen are earning as degree holders who work as doctors or teachers.

I'm not looking down on my fellowmen. I feel their pain. Yes it is a rather rigid system and yes we are turning quite culturally deflated but then again we never really were very culturally rich. What I'm saying is, instead of spending time critiscing our lovely country, we should strive to make it better. If not...really I don't why you choose to stay.

No comments: