Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Baby Brandon's Birth Story

Dear Baby Brandon,

On the 6th of July 2014' exactly 11 days ago, you arrived safely in my arms from the most traumatic labor experience I have to date. You were a miracle, was a miracle and will always be our little miracle just like your brother. 

I started having contractions on my 35th week of pregnancy. Having gone through a preterm labor experience with your brother at my 33rd week previously, the tell-take signs were very apparent when I was expecting you. I was able to differentiate real labor pain from false labor pains and seeked medical attention immediately. Just like with Damien, I was put on bed rest and medication but with you it was less worrying because we were only 4 days away from week 36. 

At my week 36 review, we were told to let labor progress as you were already 3.2kg and fairly large so I was taken off medication. I took it easy .. Lazing around.. Timing my contractions there were still irregular and the dull backaches and cramps. Then on Saturday, 5th July, the family (daddy, grandpa, grandma and your brother too) decided to go for a fantastic dinner. 

It's funny really. With Damien I went into regular contractions at a scrumptious dinner.. And this time too! They were coming at 15min intervals but I did not feel very uncomfortable so I brushed it off as your grandmother joked if she should send me to the hospital since it was only a 5min drive away. 

We got back to grandma's and your daddy went home. At midnight I couldn't sleep. The contractions were intensifying. I tried sitting, standing and walking around but they never went away. I started to panic when I sat on the toilet and could feel a sharp sensation where the cervix was so I called the doctor. Because you were 36 weeks 3 days, we decided to admit and get myself examined. 

***
In the temporary ward I was still having irregular contractions. But they peaked between 2-7mins which was fairly close. Your dad rushed down and we we're bring prepped that it might be false labor yet when they checked my cervix I was already 1cm dilated despite being fully closed at my 36 week review. So they shifted me to L&D and hooked me to the monitors. Dr came and said "hmmm 1.5cm but still irregular. When morning comes at it doesn't progress, we will send you home to wait". 

Apparently you didn't want to wait. Soon I had regular contractions that peaked every 10mins... Within the hour the bloody show appeared and I passed my mucus plug. By morning the contractions were getting very uncomfortable... Every few hours they checked my cervix and once again like with Damien it was being stubborn but definitely not as stubborn as my first labor. By the time the doctor came in the morning I was 2.5cm. 

My waterbag was broken and I continued to dilate till 4cm at 10am. We were expecting your arrival to be 3-4pm. At 12 pm there was no progression so they inserted the hormone drip to speed things up. By then the pain was unbearable. I was crying. So I called for the epidural. After the epidural ... We discovered your heart rate dropping. I was checked and they said they could feel your head but it was swelling and the doctor said its likely you were being strangled by your umbillical cord! Suddenly it was a emergency situation... 

They shoved a paper to my face to consent a c-sect and suddenly they were removing me from the bed and wheeling me to the operating theatre. It was so sudden I was panicking and hyperventilating. I couldn't even see your daddy and I was so scared. Scared that you were dying inside me. Scared that I might die on the table from blood loss or some crazy complication. Scared that you will be still born. 

*** 
In the movies the patient always stared affixed on the bright discs of lights hanging from the ceiling of the operating theatre. Suddenly those alien looking orbs were above my own head and I was overwhelmed by the buzz of the operating team. I was in shock and didn't know what was happening. Someone was telling me to relax all I replied was "where is my husband?". Things were inserted into me, removed from me, people were preparing tools and the doc was suddenly in scrubs. Then he pricked me and I said "ow," and the anesthetist frowned. I was on already on epidural and they increased the dosage so why, why on earth did it feel that scalpel's cold, evil blade prick my skin?! That was when I went crazy with fear. I was shivering...continuously. 

I saw a glimpse of your daddy. Then they told him to get out because they are going to pump me with general anesthesia to knock me out instead. I was delirious. I cried, I fought the masks the anesthetist screamed at me to breathe faster I said I couldn't breathe. A nurse whispered numbers in my ear and then.... Nothing. 

***

I was still unconscious when they lifted you from the warmth of my womb. I wasn't able to hear your first cry or feel you skin on skin like when I had Damien. It was daddy who took your first photo at 16:12... Safe and sound. Our little survivor. Surviving with only one functioning kidney and delivered alive and kicking... After being strangled within. If not for the prompt action, if I had chosen to wait out the labor at home, if my bloody show didn't come and they didn't decide to keep me in the hospital...without all these interventions , you could have been a still born. And I thank The Lord for keeping you and I pray he will continue to bless you for all the rest of your life. 

Welcome to the world, little baby B. 

**

No comments: