Wednesday, July 30, 2014

"I am a mother" : essay translation


"The days where we only had each other for survival, entwined as one, will only last 40 weeks. When you were in mummy's belly, mummy suffered but was blissful at the same time. 

The more you grew, the bigger my belly became and when you grew big and strong, when my belly could no longer hold you -- ah!-- you were born! 

This is your first departure from mummy's body, with a snip of the umbilical cord we are no longer one and you have become your own, tiny little individual being.

 Mummy's heart rejoiced but at the same time, felt a little saddened .. Because you and I are no longer one; looking at this little miracle that emerged from my body, you are truly God's angel, I believe...

But...You no longer belong to me alone. 

Mummy's milk has become your nourishment and it's also mummy's consolation..because ever since you left my womb, it has been the source of bonding for us where we are heart to heart, skin to skin. As I watch your face as you suckle, my heart fills with satisfaction and overflows with love and I want to embrace you tightly as I watch you grow. As you lay there quietly sleeping...is mummy's shadow in your dreams? 

Mummy really wishes..that from your tiny body. I can foresee your entire life. But that, I know, is impossible. 

One day, mummy will leave you, and you, will continue living your own life . So for now, when you are still my precious infant, I will look and embrace you as often as I can and treasure every moment...

From the day you were born, you have experienced your first growth spurt. You never seem to have enough to drink..day and night all you wanted was to feed and all mummy could do was to cling you to me. 

You have so many expressions and although they bring joy to my heart, I am weary for its only when you are nursing fondly at the breast that you are peaceful. 

Mummy will whisper to herself then say to you "you are great! Ah you really are life's miracle..." 

Slowly, the look you donned as a newborn has long left my sight. In place of that I now welcome a fair and chubby you. You have learnt to rollover ... Then to sit and then to crawl. 
When you nurse, you are now capable of all kinds of of acrobatic positions. 

In mummy's eyes, with every suck, you are growing . Yes, one day, our breast feeding journey will end... And when that day approaches, once again I will feel that familiar twinge of sadness. First we lost the umbilical cord that once joined us as one; without my precious milk for you, how else will we form a connection? This will be your second departure from me...and I am not prepared. 

Alright, it's alright, I can only treasure every moment that we have remaining...because you will never truly leave me. Because honestly, I believe, because even if we no longer have that special bond at the breast, the only thing that connects us will always be..love. 

I will read stories to you, teach you morals and values, accompany you in your games and play. Even if the cord that once bound us has been snipped; even if we are no longer bonded through that precious milk, mummy's love for you will never be severed. 

From the warmth in my voice and the gentleness of my gaze you, will see my love for you and it will flow ... Endlessly into your tiny precious heart. 

As I think of these...I sigh a sigh of relief .. In the future you will leave me ... Leave mummy to play and mingle with your little friends ... To play group...kindergarten ... To school or perhaps you will leave college and find a job, or get married and have your own children. 

You will leave mummy...drift further and further... But mummy will always believe, that although we are no longer connected physically, our hearts will always be one. Always. 

For mummy has, whilst you were a tiny tiny being, planted the seed of love in your heart. 

From now on, mummy will anticipate your growth. From now on, watching you grow, I will embrace your departure, with love. 




Translated from: 

No comments: